• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Baby Boomer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I was found not guilty for parking ticket. I want to sue city claimant for costs of fighting ticket such as time,mileage and suffering. What say you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, just for giggles, keep in mind that "not guilty" and "innocent" are not the same thing ;)

Proserpina

And, just for giggles, keep in mind that "not guilty" and "innocent" are not the same thing ;)

Oh mah gawd I'm so glad someone raised that point!

Unless you're in Scotland (or a couple of other places), there's only two options for a jury to decide between.

Did the state prove their case, or not?

If yes = guilty
If not = not guilty

Zig is absolutely gosh-darnedly correct.... "not guilty" does not mean that Fred didn't bludgeon his neighbor to death; it only means that the state couldn't prove their case even though Fred was holding the golf club at the time. In more recent history, think of the last decent run made by a Bronco.

Scotland has a third option: "not proven" which, when all is said and done, amounts to the same result as "not guilty" : acquittal. It does though create a different perception, a sort of "Not guilty but don't do it again" thing. We think you did it, but the State can't prove it and we're just not happy with "not guilty".

Here endeth the lesson. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">