• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court after salon burned my wife's eyebrows.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JsusF

We live in Chula Vista CA,

My Wife visited a nail salon nearby to get her eyebrows waxed. It it felt as she had been burnt but the pain took a couple of hours to come in. Soon the area affected blistered and the pain become very pronounced. We revisited the salon, and the staff seemed apologetic. The pain by that point had subsided due to some home remedies she had used the night before, but the skin was clearly blistered. They refunded the money, but now a week later the blister and pain has gone away but there is a sizable scar on her forehead in the same shape as the blister.

We took pictures of her forehead the night this occured. She has an appointment with her doctor in a few days. From here on, we are starting to take pictures every day to ensure we have the scar healing process archived. If the doctor indicates that the scar will remain for an extended period of time, would we be able to take the salon to small claims court for damages? My wife is clearly distraught the scar is very pronounced in a very visible part of her face.

This transaction was cash. Without a lack of a receipt, would it still be possible to file this? When we visited the shop the next day they also took pictures of the scar and four workers took a look at her face. Beyond getting a letter from her doctor is there anything else we might need if we decide to pursue this further?

Thank you in advance,

Jesus F.

Last edited:

JsusF

We believe it was the heat of the wax that caused the burn and ultimately the skin to blister.

RRevak

We believe it was the heat of the wax that caused the burn and ultimately the skin to blister.
Unfortunately this does happen on occasion with waxing when the person doing the job has the wax at an unsafe temperature (actually had it happen to me before). BUT, it can ALSO happen if an individual is taking certain medications that makes ones skin extra sensitive such as acne medications, botox or similar injections, or skin creams or medications containing Retin A or alpha hydroxy acids etc. Also certain blood thinners can also make ones skin more susceptible to injury when waxing. Was your wife using any products before she went to her appointment that she wasn't taking before prior wax jobs?

Proserpina

Realistically you have a couple of problems. While they will generally keep records, without any proof you're pretty much sunk. Taking photos only proves that there was some sort of injury; they can't prove when it happened, or who may or may not have been the responsible party. There's always the possibility that your wife is particularly sensitive to an ingredient and the salon wasn't aware of this.

I do understand how you feel but in this instance I can't see a valid suit.

RRevak

Realistically you have a couple of problems. While they will generally keep records, without any proof you're pretty much sunk. Taking photos only proves that there was some sort of injury; they can't prove when it happened, or who may or may not have been the responsible party. There's always the possibility that your wife is particularly sensitive to an ingredient and the salon wasn't aware of this.

I do understand how you feel but in this instance I can't see a valid suit.
Wax doesn't really have ingredients one can tolerate or not tolerate as the standard for the industry is either straight hot honey wax or a combination of honey and resin (hard wax). Hard wax is mainly used in more upscale salons as its easier to remove than the sticky honey but it costs more. But its still essentially honey with the resin being the binder that gives it the "hard" consistency. Op should also note that the timing of the wax can also make a difference in how the skin reacts. If one is pregnant, or nearing their monthly cycle, it tends to make the skin extra sensitive and susceptible to injury. That's why most reputable salons make the patron fill out a detailed questionnaire before going ahead with the job. This allows the salon to determine if the waxing is going to cause injury or not and if they feel its risky, can either direct the person to come back at another time or not go through with the job at all.

RRevak

Trust me, i'm REALLY knowledgeable on waxing as i've been under the stick, so to speak, so many times (and for so long) that I barely flinch anymore. Seriously, not to be TMI about things but without wax i'm practically a Kardashian. That stuff is magic! :D

Proserpina

Wax doesn't really have ingredients one can tolerate or not tolerate as the standard for the industry is either straight hot honey wax or a combination of honey and resin (hard wax). Hard wax is mainly used in more upscale salons as its easier to remove than the sticky honey but it costs more. But its still essentially honey with the resin being the binder that gives it the "hard" consistency. Op should also note that the timing of the wax can also make a difference in how the skin reacts. If one is pregnant, or nearing their monthly cycle, it tends to make the skin extra sensitive and susceptible to injury. That's why most reputable salons make the patron fill out a detailed questionnaire before going ahead with the job. This allows the salon to determine if the waxing is going to cause injury or not and if they feel its risky, can either direct the person to come back at another time or not go through with the job at all.
I'm European.

If you get my meaning ;) :D

I do have a regular esth..ethis ... enteths...girl who does waxing. Alas, she's in Pittsburgh. Her info does differ quite a bit from yours, but heck. I'm still European. ;)

RRevak

I'm European.

If you get my meaning ;) :D

I do have a regular esth..ethis ... enteths...girl who does waxing. Alas, she's in Pittsburgh. Her info does differ quite a bit from yours, but heck. I'm still European. ;)
I'm curious as to how it differs? I've always used salons in my area so i'm wondering if there is something new and fancy i'm not familiar with.

I feel ya on the European ;). Just on the surface, without my bi-monthly wax jobs I quickly go from FEmale to AREYOUmale in an instant...and it ain't pretty! :eek: :D

Isis1

this sounds like a chemical reaction to something exposed to the area AFTER the actual waxing. like make up? or something used to clean residual wax?

after waxing the skin is HIGHLY sensitive to ANYTHING especially sun. so, OP...did your wife apply anything to the area after her waxing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">