• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Small Claims Court the Best Option?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ibmerlin

I live in Illinois. We moved to the country a few years ago. Our home is on a gravel road. In the spring our road commissioner will ban large vehicles such as garbage trucks from traveling on the gravel road to prevent ruts and other road damage. Its referred to as "The freeze law". The last few years we have been forced to go a month or more without garbage pick up. This year our garbage pickup stopped early in February. My wife called and was told the freeze law was in effect. Almost two months went by and my wife called again. This time when she ask about a refund on our bill she was told that the garbage service still did not have permission to use the road and we could just leave the bags of trash at the nearest intersection. We never did this for a few reasons. There are many wild animals in the area and the bags would have been ripped to shreds in no time. Also the property that they told us to dump the bags is owned by the state and is part of a park. There are sites warning of a $500 fine for dumping posted around the area.

Finally a truck arrived in May. We were not expecting it because they never called to let us know it was coming so our garbage was not taken. As they were backing out of our lane they left the gravel and created a rut in our yard 30 foot long and 10 inches deep. That was the last straw for my wife and myself and she called to cancel service. Now its June and we receive a bill for $20 and its threatening collections if its not payed in 10 days. Its the only bill we have received since we terminated service. I called the company and was told that it was not their fault the garbage was not picked up and We owe them no matter what. Its only $20 dollars. I was going to pay but now I am upset. I don't feel that We owe them. If anything they owe us.

Is small claims the best way to go? Is there any other avenue that would be better to take first? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you
MerlinWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">