• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims court date tuesday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJHOOK13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I own a duplex where I live in one side and rent the other side out which pays the mortgage. A renter stiffed me for about $1000 in repairs and damages when she moved out. I only had a $200 deposit from her (she was a friend of a friend) so I am trying to collect the $800.

There was a lease agreement which clearly addresses liability for cost of repairs, damages, etc. Her husband is in the military, and my best bet of collecting is through his wages. She has a bevy of boyfriends and her husband was stationed overseas until just last month - now stationed in KY. She is still in this area but supposedly will be joining him when he gets a permanent base assignment stateside - if the marriage lasts. The PARTIES listed on the lease show both her name and her husband's - but only she signed it.

QUESTIONS: Can soldier's wages be attached for a civil judgement?
I initially filed the small claims complaint just in her name because I knew him being in the military would be sticky - should I amend to include him as a party as well?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I own a duplex where I live in one side and rent the other side out which pays the mortgage. A renter stiffed me for about $1000 in repairs and damages when she moved out. I only had a $200 deposit from her (she was a friend of a friend) so I am trying to collect the $800.

There was a lease agreement which clearly addresses liability for cost of repairs, damages, etc. Her husband is in the military, and my best bet of collecting is through his wages. She has a bevy of boyfriends and her husband was stationed overseas until just last month - now stationed in KY. She is still in this area but supposedly will be joining him when he gets a permanent base assignment stateside - if the marriage lasts. The PARTIES listed on the lease show both her name and her husband's - but only she signed it.

QUESTIONS: Can soldier's wages be attached for a civil judgement?
I initially filed the small claims complaint just in her name because I knew him being in the military would be sticky - should I amend to include him as a party as well?
He didn't sign the lease so therefore he did not take liability. YOu should sue her because she signed the contract. She is the one legally responsible.

KJHOOK13

What about POA?

She did have POA for her husband since he was in Iraq which allowed her to have utilities, etc put into his name while he was out of the country, and in fact, his mail was coming there as well - does this make him contractually bound at all, or would she have had to sign the lease agreement that had both of their names on it with the "POA" notation?

Thanks,

KJ

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She did have POA for her husband since he was in Iraq which allowed her to have utilities, etc put into his name while he was out of the country, and in fact, his mail was coming there as well - does this make him contractually bound at all, or would she have had to sign the lease agreement that had both of their names on it with the "POA" notation?

Thanks,

KJ
She would have had to also sign it as his POA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">