• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court and Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowyegret

What is the name of your state? Washington State
Someone cornered my son-in-law at his place of business, told him they knew he had their stolen property in the back of his truck and demanded to search his truck (and did without his permission) then told my son-in-law that I had been caught by their son on their property stealing their belongings, that my fiance had stolen numerous items from their property and sold them and that my fiance is a drug dealer. These people also said that they had filed a report with the police. These people also told my son-in-law that they had called his boss and told his boss that my son-in-law was a thief and had stolen numerous tools from their home.

None of this is even remotely true. I called the police and no police report was filed. No one has stolen anything, in fact, we avoid these people like the plague. They are our neighbors and I think are crackheads (but that's just my opinion).

Can this be sued in small claims court? We don't have the money for an attorney. These people have a bunch of different properties they own free and clear but I don't know if they have any actual money. The max for claims in a small claims court here is 4000.00. We have my son-in-law as a witness for mine and my fiance's case and my son-in-law has his boss for his case. We've got three defamation of character suits against one person here.
Can we go to small claims?
Thanks

BelizeBreeze

snowyegret said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State
Someone cornered my son-in-law at his place of business, told him they knew he had their stolen property in the back of his truck and demanded to search his truck (and did without his permission) then told my son-in-law that I had been caught by their son on their property stealing their belongings, that my fiance had stolen numerous items from their property and sold them and that my fiance is a drug dealer. These people also said that they had filed a report with the police. These people also told my son-in-law that they had called his boss and told his boss that my son-in-law was a thief and had stolen numerous tools from their home.

None of this is even remotely true. I called the police and no police report was filed. No one has stolen anything, in fact, we avoid these people like the plague. They are our neighbors and I think are crackheads (but that's just my opinion).

Can this be sued in small claims court? We don't have the money for an attorney. These people have a bunch of different properties they own free and clear but I don't know if they have any actual money. The max for claims in a small claims court here is 4000.00. We have my son-in-law as a witness for mine and my fiance's case and my son-in-law has his boss for his case. We've got three defamation of character suits against one person here.
Thanks
to answer the ONLY legal question you asked**************......No.

JETX

snowyegret said:
Can this be sued in small claims court?
Can what be sued??
You have not shown ANY damages by anyone.

The max for claims in a small claims court here is 4000.00. We have my son-in-law as a witness for mine and my fiance's case and my son-in-law has his boss for his case. We've got three defamation of character suits against one person here.
No. Small claims court doesn't hear defamation issues... even if you had one. However, there is nothing in your post to even suggest a defamation suit.... or damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">