• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims court, I have to have an answer on monday.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Styler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm in the state of Texas. Ex is suing me for 10,000. Past rent, debt from credit cards, during the time of the relationship, broken items. She says I owe her for rent on the house. We were engaged. She asked me to marry her. Right after she decided on a house for use to buy. I say she decided because I knew the house was going to be out of my budeget. She insisted on having that house. I told her that I wouldn't pay a dollar on the house unless my name was on the note. It never got put on the note. I ended up living there for a while she ended up getting committed to a psychiatric ward after trying to kill her self. After she got out and i knew she was mentally stable enough for me to leave I packed my things and left(two weeks). The majority of things broken were mine and she broke them and when I left I didn't take them cause they were broken and if not broken she would just go ballistic and I was worried she would destroy my other stuff in between trips. She refused to let me have my couch (brand new). We agreed(verbally) to trade the couch for the left over debt. She has now filed a claim for the debt in court and is trying to sue for 10,000 dollars.

When we were engaged we were looking for rings a large part of the debt is for a ring that is on her credit card that she added me to as a card user. We were (looking for rings) and I had no intentions of buying a ring due to me not having any money saved for a ring. Well we end up going to this one place and she decides on a ring well she popped out this card with my name on it and was like well heres a card I. We had discussed before about a credit card and buying a ring if we could get one with 0% interest in that it was still a big maybe. She added me on this account without my consent (not that it makes a difference). Pretty much begs me for the ring I say no I have no money and for a ring and out comes the card. She is the main card holder. When we split I had paid a good portion on the ring but the remainder of debt was left on her card and we decided if shes gong to keep the ring she keeps the debt. I had no problem with that. All this happened about two years ago or at least the very the very last things happened. She ends up showing up at my moms funeral at this point we are not friends anymore but she showed up I asked her to leave she insisted on touching me in the middle of the service and completely embarrassing me in front of my whole family. I had family members that I hadn't seen in 10 years giving me the strangest looks coming up asking whats wrong and whats that girls deal. She was sobbing uncontrollable in the second row because I asked her to leave and to just leave me alone.

One of the items she is trying to sue me for is an item that she ruined the night she went to the hospitol for swalloing a bottle of pills. She beat my car with a bat poured what I think to be turpentine on it and tried to set it on fire. Well the liquid that she poured on it ruined some of my engine harness made it kinda like balony it was there but real soft the copped in the middle of the wires ended up touching due to the rubber sheathing coming off and grounding out on the intake manifold. Ruining the ECU in question. Busted my windshield out. She didn't work she went to school and slept all day. She donated her eggs and I took off of work to make this possible for her. It was out of stated and she had to have someone watch over her while shes out of state. Both times took about a week that I had to take off of work. Another item that she is trying to sue me for she bought for me out of the money that she made out of donating her eggs for the time I took off and watched over her. She wasn't going to be able to do it without me and she offered to buy it for me if I help her out. So I asked off for work and went with her.

My mind is going about 10,000 mph Anny comments on normal court room procedeings will help out. I have tried to give the information to the best of my knowledge because I would like the best help. If you have information that could help me and you answer I'll be very appreciative.

Styler

Come to think about it. Shes presenting evidence that we were common law married. Combined bills, in an intimate relationship, living under the same roof, asking for half of the bills, and debts to be paid. A house she decided on buying while we were together I'm responsible for half the bills and debts, then am I not entitled to half the equity in the house we purchased the house for 126 it appraises for now upwards of 160 and 20 percent was paid down on the house from the get go.

Also a month after we split up, she married her ex boyfriend which was born and raised in Texas but is now confined to the state of Colorado due to a restraining order she has put on him for pulling a gun on her. Shes pregnant by him living back here in Dallas still married and receiving insurance help from the military through him because he active military. If I was married to her and she got married to him right after we split up and could prove she had cheated on me with him in the marriage wouldn't I be entitled to the assets gained and her marriage now be null and void.

njlisa

Too much information. Boil it down to one or two paragraphs. Is she saying you owe her rent money? Credit card debt? Damage to the car?

Was the house, car and credit card in your name? Where you married at the time?

Styler

Yes shes saying I owe her rent money, credit card debt (for a wedding ring) that she still has, damages to her house (the majority of which she did). I have gone back and done some research and common law marriage in the state of Texas and I fall under all three of the prongs. I"m approaching my deadline to make it official though. Which is two years from when we separated. February will be two years from when I changed my address which is the only time frame that I know could be considered the line cause its when I changed my address. I don't know if I should do it or not. In Texas if I make it official I this could work for me or against me. For me for the equity in the house for one, two she has debt but I also have debts not sure if it would be combined and split or not. It could work against me due to the fact that if I make it official then I'm going to divorce court.

She says I owe her over 10,000 dollars and the sum of the debts totals around 12,000. Her cap is 10,000 for small claims. There was no car damage except for the damage she did to my car. with a baseball bat and trying to set it on fire.

Sorry I'm for the long layout I just want to give as much information as possible. I also try to give the information as accurate as possible because I want accurate information in return. When we were to together I have no proof of me handing her a dollar. I have a checking account but I don't use checks at all. I have a debit card and that is it. When rent and bills were due I always handed her cash. I never thought about asking for a receipt from my other half.

After we separated she also kept trying to transfer money out of my checking account online from mine account to hers. I have records from the bank from when I finally caught this. She tried to charge my account for around 6000 dollars a number of times and each time I received a 32 dollars insufficient funds charge. After my bank and I went back and forth and got everything straightened out it totaled around 300 in charges.

Styler

Can anyone help. I guess I gave to much information. Me as a technician I want all the information so that I can better diagnose a car. Ok heres short and to the point

Shes sueing me

1 a ring (I agreed to pay at time of purchase, at time of break I offered to pay for it but she said no I'd rather keep it)
2.broken items( door we both took part in breaking I think its fair for me to pay for half of an equivalant door and knob
3. two items (welder 1700 dollars, x item 700) she purchased on credit car and was payment for me taking off work and to watch over her during procedure where she made money) and other item she ruined after purchasing.
4. Cash loans that she never loaned me. On petition for debt owed the price of the welder and two broken items add up to be the same price of cash loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">