• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims court issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmoore0701

WA

I went threw a divorce in March of this year and filed out our decree without help of lawyers. On the decree it states what credit cards we would take over- I have full-filled my part of the agreement, but my ex wants more. He wants me to take on $4000 of one of his cards because I was an authorized user on the card- the problem is, is that I did not use it and he was the one that had gotten everything in the divorce.

He has now done a small claims court order against me for the $4000 and I am worried that I will have to pay (only because he is ruthless and has the money and I am a pretty darn poor student.) We did sign some form (in which he forced me to BUT it was BEFORE the divorce decree and never notarized..) That I would pay back some of the card - It did not specify an amount and I only signed that paper because if I didn't he was going to take MY car because it is in his name also.

I really gave him everything in the divorce and he seems to think I still owe him- That card was used for his schooling, paint-ball supplies, and car parts (most of which was sent to my parents home and then he came and picked them up.)

I have court next tuesday and I am so upset and just want him to leave me alone- any advice?

BL

WA

I went threw a divorce in March of this year and filed out our decree without help of lawyers. On the decree it states what credit cards we would take over- I have full-filled my part of the agreement, but my ex wants more. He wants me to take on $4000 of one of his cards because I was an authorized user on the card- the problem is, is that I did not use it and he was the one that had gotten everything in the divorce.

He has now done a small claims court order against me for the $4000 and I am worried that I will have to pay (only because he is ruthless and has the money and I am a pretty darn poor student.) We did sign some form (in which he forced me to BUT it was BEFORE the divorce decree and never notarized..) That I would pay back some of the card - It did not specify an amount and I only signed that paper because if I didn't he was going to take MY car because it is in his name also.

I really gave him everything in the divorce and he seems to think I still owe him- That card was used for his schooling, paint-ball supplies, and car parts (most of which was sent to my parents home and then he came and picked them up.)

I have court next tuesday and I am so upset and just want him to leave me alone- any advice?

I would say the specifics of the decree would supersede any prior agreement , written or otherwise .

Request the Court to take Judicial notice of it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">