• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Small Claims Court the next step?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bele Chere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My brother and I inherited commercial/residential rental property. He has tried to cheat me every step of the way. I have won the judgement and the property will be divided in to two separate parcels soon. We were to pay equally the remaining mortgage balance and each pay half of the property taxes. I have complied with both. My brother has not paid ( he's having a tantrum for not getting his way). He paid less than 1/4 of the taxes (it has now gone to the tax legal division) and owed less than $400 on the mortgage, but with late fees, etc , that total is over $525!
This property is worth almost $1,000,000!
My question is...If I end up paying what my brother owes to prevent foreclosure and/or auction for taxes...Can I sue him for these amounts in Small Claims Court. How would I then collect??? Could I have his bank account garnished (he lives off the rental income, has no job) or place a lein on his portion of the property, once the sepatate deeds are issued?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">