• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court Procedure in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maclaw

Since I found this forum .. I'm addressing all my legal issues here and I'm able to help friends with their issues too.
Today I'm looking for some advice for a business associate ( from the UK ) who want to sue somebody in Georgia to get his $5000 back.

My question : Is it possible to get the process started with forms without being present in Georgia . How would I be able to assist from California? Would I be able to do anything for him
in behalf of the person for a small claims law suit ?

quincy

Since I found this forum .. I'm addressing all my legal issues here and I'm able to help friends with their issues too.
Today I'm looking for some advice for a business associate ( from the UK ) who want to sue somebody in Georgia to get his $5000 back.

My question : Is it possible to get the process started with forms without being present in Georgia . How would I be able to assist from California? Would I be able to do anything for him
What county in Georgia?

You cannot assist your UK business associate from California, other than to provide him with direction to legal assistance in Georgia. It will probably cost him more than the $5000 to pursue an action in Georgia.

Here is a link to Georgia Legal Aid: http://www.georgialegalaid.org/issues/the-courts-civil-rights-and-taxes/your-government-representing-yourself-in-cour

edit to add: or what FlyingRon said :)

latigo

So, you are going to be helping your friends with their legal issues and do it all from California.

Well that would be fine, provided, that is, that you are licensed to practice law in your state. Otherwise, you would be guilty of the commission of crime punishable up to six months in jail, plus fined. (See: Section 6126 of your states Business and Professional Code and Section 1170 of its Penal Code.)

And just in case you are wondering if it is okay as long as you are not charging your "clients", cease the wondering. It ain't okay.

Also, if you would be interested in knowing how your state defines the practice of law, read Baron v. Los Angeles, 2 C.3d 535, 86 C.R. 673, 469 P.2d 353 and cases cited. It is like shot gunning, or perhaps better as "carpet bombing". No impersonating wannabes left behind.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">