• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osugraduate

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Yesterday the Magistrate ruled in my favor (I was the plaintiff) in small claims court. I understand that if the defendant (he was present yesterday) does not seek an appeal that he has 30 days to pay me or make some payment arrangement with the court. And if he does not pay that a judgement will be brought against him. If the judgement happens, is there anything I can do to encourage him to start paying, like putting a lien against his car or something? Thank you for your time on this.

I

itsacatsworld

You can put a lien against almost anything he owns, but remember a car thats owned by say FORD is owned by ford till its paid in full. To lien his wages youll need to get a seperate court order. If he owns nothing now wait till he does and keep the judgement current. Also if this is a judgement involving a DWI or an accident you can have his drivers license suspended indefinately till its paid across state lines.

Last edited:

racer72

Go to you local bookstore or library and find a book from Nolo Press about small claims courts for your state. It will explain in detail what you and the defendant can and cannot do now that a judgment has been granted.

make some payment arrangement with the court.
This is something you can forget about. All the judgment does is give you the power to collect the debt based on state law. The court will not collect the debt for you. Get the book, become enlightened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">