• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court Venue & Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtskeen

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

It has become necessary for me to file a suit against an Internet computer seller headquartered in Texas. They also have locations in Tennessee. My local sessions court says that I can file in my home county and they will serve using the 'Long Arm Statue'. Can I file in my local county sessions court?

Secondly; I could use some guidance on damages beyond the dollar amount of the transaction like compensation for lost hours on the phone over the last greater than six months attempting to resolve the issue, worry and stress.

Thanks

JETX

"It has become necessary for me to file a suit against an Internet computer seller headquartered in Texas. They also have locations in Tennessee. My local sessions court says that I can file in my home county and they will serve using the 'Long Arm Statue'. Can I file in my local county sessions court?"
*** What do you mean by 'they also have locations in Tennessee'?? What type of 'locations'??? Do any of these 'locations' have inventory, assets, etc.??
If so, you can file in your home 'county', but the defendant could file a challenge to venue and force it to be moved to their county.

"Secondly; I could use some guidance on damages beyond the dollar amount of the transaction like compensation for lost hours on the phone over the last greater than six months attempting to resolve the issue, worry and stress."
*** You can only file for actually money lost. You cannot include for time, stress, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">