• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court verdict

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kenirvin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

D I have a right to know the reason as to how a commisioner or judge came to a verdict?If not,what are my options if I lose a small claims court case with overwhelming information about a case in my favor? Is there a oversight comittee or some venue where I can file an appeal or a claim??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

D I have a right to know the reason as to how a commisioner or judge came to a verdict?If not,what are my options if I lose a small claims court case with overwhelming information about a case in my favor? Is there a oversight comittee or some venue where I can file an appeal or a claim??
Nope

If you are the plaintiff, you are done.
If you are the defendant, you can appeal.

Antigone*

Sorry kenirvin, you don't get to see the judge's magic 8 ball.:p

kenirvin

That does not seem right.Surely if a decision was made ,there was a way the judge came to that decision.It should be public record.

Antigone*

That does not seem right.Surely if a decision was made ,there was a way the judge came to that decision.It should be public record.
As important as the money seems to you. It is important for the small claims process in general to remain affordable. In order to do that, the judge (often a referee appointed by a judge) sits on the bench. This person will listen to both sides and then apply the law as they understand it.

If you want more, you'll have to take your case to civil court and then pay for it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Were you the Defendant or the Plaintiff?

(Did you get sued, or were you sued?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">