• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims or criminal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jraymond

What is the name of your state? WA.

Someone is holding my personal property (auto) Titled in my name only, on his property. My son had the car there working on it. The guys house was raided and drug parafinilia was confiscated. He hired a lawyer to take care of teh charges. He says it was my sons fault his house was raided, and wants reimbursed for the lawyer fees. So he is holding my car until my son pays him, which is totally ludicrist. The police say it;s a civil matter and nothing they can do to make him give my car back.
So... is small claims court my only way to go? It has no Tabs, no insurance, and the guys is driving it on the street, if anything should happen while he's driving it, am I liable?

Thanks for any help you can give

Last edited:

T

TazTaz2T

Do you have the Title and a set of keys for it ? I do-not beleive a private party can hold a vehicle,whereas the title is in your name.The Police should assist you in retreiving the vehicle from that propery.
If you attempeted to reteive it yourself ,the property owners/renters might press Trespass charges against you.

Although ,if you had an oportunity when no one was home , or the car was at a different location , you could retreive it !!

I doubt then they could do anything. It's your car ,if you can prove it.

Call the local DA's office , ask if legally you can retreive it off their property ? explain the Police won't assist you.

Or try the Sheriiff's Office ,or State Police, to assist you.

If all else fails take him to court for the blue book value.

General Information: [email protected] (If you are not sure whom to direct your e-mail, just send it here and we will route it to the appropriate person, division, or unit).

This is probably not your county,but you could e-mail them and ask if you can retreive your titled vehicle with Sheriff's assistance ?

good luck !!

lwpat

"guys is driving it on the street"

If there is an accident and you are the legal owner then you could be held liable. If you have title to the vehicle then you need to talk to the police. It is a criminal matter.

If your son owes the guy money then that is a civil matter and he must sue your son. He cannot hold the auto.

T

TazTaz2T

The police say it;s a civil matter and nothing they can do to make him give my car back.
[ quote ]

I do believe the Police are wrong. go hook up to it and take it home,that's what i'd do !!

If they take it back , have them arrested for theft !!

Correct, on top of that if " guys" are driving it on the street call the police,and demand they press charges,and get it back !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">