• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims or criminal case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wildthing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
About a month ago I sold a snowmobile that I bought at a auction a few weeks earlier. A week ago the buyer contacted me and said he wanted his money back ($3300) because the sled had been wrecked and totaled by a insurance company in 2013 and I did not disclose it (because I didn't know it) when I sold him the sled.
Today he called me and said he had spoke to a attorney who advised him that it was a crime in Indiana to sell a vehicle that was previously totaled without disclosing it to the buyer and he was going to file charges against me if I did not give his money back.
Is this just a small claims case or is it a criminal case like he claims?
He lives in Indiana about 3 hours away. Does he have to file any action against me here in my county since the transaction took place here?

TigerD

1. He can't filed charges unless he also happens to be a prosecuting attorney.
2. It is unlikely that an attorney would advise him to file charges - and I'm not sure that a snow mobile is a "vehicle".

Sounds like a blowhard.

Good luck.
TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">