• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims-Defendant has lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snovy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have filed a claim against my former landlord for not repaying a security deposit. I tried several times before filing to contact him for repayment, with no response. This issue has taken almost a year already.

Now he has a lawyer asking me to contact him about the matter. I am fearful of doing this since I have no legal aid on my side. (The lawyer just left a message on my answering machine)

My question is, should I call HIS lawyer back and discuss this, or just wait for the matter to go to court? (He has until May 15th to answer his subpoena)

racer72

Call the lawyer. If he offers anything less than what is owed plus the filing fees you already paid, tell him you will see him in court and hang up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">