• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims (defendent)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beau

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire-- Just had judgement against me for some work not performed as handyman---money was already paid to me and have to return --but feel work that was done wasn't compensated enough- do I have any recourse once there is judgement

justalayman

Don't know about New Hampshire specifically but many/most states allow an appeal of a small claims decision. It generally must be appealed within 30 days of the initial decision.

If you don't have any new or different evidence, it probably wont make any difference though.

racer72

You can't appeal just because you don't like the decision. There are specific reasons to appeal cases such as procedural errors, new evidence, clarification of laws, etc. Based on your post, you don't have cause for appeal.

justalayman

You can't appeal just because you don't like the decision. There are specific reasons to appeal cases such as procedural errors, new evidence, clarification of laws, etc. Based on your post, you don't have cause for appeal.

from http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/remedies_small.html

Furthermore, the judge's decision is final and no appeal from that decision is permitted unless an objection is raised about the interpretation of the law. Such an objection is appealed directly to the state Supreme Court.
as racer posted, it would seem your chances of appeal would be very limited. Unless there is a question of law and not one of facts, it is what it is. It also would seem the costs involved are designed to disway a litigant from appealing as well since the appeal must be taken to the states supreme court.. Due to procedural rules, I would guess an attorney would just about be a requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">