• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Discovery help needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama

I contracted with a professional fabricator to do work on my classic vehicle. I asked him his shop rate initially and he was evasive, saying he billed by the project and couldn't give me a cost until he got into the job a bit.

This went on for 7 months until I finally just picked up the car. He hit me with a ridiculous invoice for $3,333.00 even though I had already paid him over $4400.00. I wrote a check planning to sue him for the money.

Towing the car home the all new rear end ($2000.00) locked up causing $2100.00 in damages. It was because he had put no fluids in the rear end...which he admitted at the time and now denies. At the time he said he'd fix it...now denies making such a statement.

Then, over the next few days I discovered just how bad/unsafe his workmanship was. Qualified expert witnesse will attest to this in court. The repairs cost me $2500.00.

Feeling that all this amounted to Just Cause, I placed a stop on my $3,333.00 check.

I have a damage claim for $4,600.00 but I am suing him for $3,000. as that is the amount most I can get back in small claims.

Here's my question. He hired an attorney and is trying to intimidate me with a flood of legal paperwork. He filed a counter-claim accusing me of Breach of Contract, Fraud and Libel (I posted a warning on an internet automotive site). His attorney has just sent me a 10 page Motion to Allow Discovery and Requests for Production. They basically want me to provide all the materials to make their case and tell them what every one of my expert witnesses will say.
Shouldn't THEY be the ones stating the grounds on which they made these accusations...and shouldn't this be a simple process not requiring me to know law.

I thought that's what Small Claims was supposed to do.

I need some guidance. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">