• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims filing questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DAS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SD
When filing a small claims against someone who won't return my deposit, can I charge interest and if so when can I begin the interest charge. Also at what percentage. Second, What is service fees exactly on the form mean.
Can I add in my time for doing all of this.?
Finally, I wrote the check out to the guy, but on the back both him and his wife signed it. So when I file the claim do I make it out to both or to him?

Last edited:

dcatz

can I charge interest and if so when can I begin the interest charge

You don’t explain the nature of the underlying obligation, so your success in adding interest may depend on the court. In a higher forum, prejudgment interest would routinely be expected to be added in the instance of a payment default, but it’s not uncommon for Small Claims to deny it unless the obligation is based on a written agreement. You have nothing to lose by asking, and interest accrues from the date of default.

Also at what percentage.

Prejudgment interest accrues at 10%APR in your state.

What is service fees exactly on the form mean.

Service fees refer to the cost(s) associated with delivering process (“serving”) to the defendant(s) - such as of expense of paying a process server or the Sheriff.

Can I add in my time for doing all of this.?

No.

So when I file the claim do I make it out to both or to him?

Who was the agreement with – him or both?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">