• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims - First step

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keepitgood

Hawaii -
I've have a contract case where the person started, but didn't have the skills to complete my project.
I told him I'd allow a thousand dollar credit towards the $3,700 owing, if he agrees to sign a promissory.
It stipulated he would forward user / password info that he set up, etc, plus, he would provide a
copy of the work he preformed..
In return, I would give him the 1K break and not write reviews of my experiences on-line..
He agreed, I have the conversation recorded..

Well, he skipped the state, I'm about 90% sure, I know the city he now resides in.

Regards to the first step in this situation....
Would I open a case in small claims court first, then hire a process server to find him?
What happens if they can not locate him?
Can I use the recording in court of him stating he would refund the entire amount?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No need to start a new thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/small-claims-courts-24/my-web-developer-has-me-short-hairs-609252.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">