• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims hearing/court - Who represents a corporation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x1987x

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

If I'm suing a rather large out of state corporation (CA), the hearing is monday. My question is can/will they hire a local lawyer? Will the lawyer act as a representative of the company?

FL Small Claims Rule 7.050:
...A corporation may be represented at any stage of the trial court proceedings by an officer of the corporation or any employee authorized in writing by an officer of the corporation.
What is a small claims rule? Is it a law? And does the rule I quoted mean a corporate officer has to appear?

Who goes to court when a business is sued?

* If you are the only owner of a business, you must go to court unless the claim can be proved by evidence of a business account in which case a regular employee with knowledge of that account may represent you.
* If you have a partner, one of you must go.
* If the business is a corporation, an employee, officer, or director must go to court. That person can't be hired just to represent the corporation.

Thanks

seniorjudge

Q: My question is can/will they hire a local lawyer?

A: Our crystal ball is in the repair shop at the moment. However, my GUESS is yes.

Q: Will the lawyer act as a representative of the company?

A: Yes. Google lawyer.

Q: What is a small claims rule? Is it a law? And does the rule I quoted mean a corporate officer has to appear?

A: Yes; yes; and no, since it says "may".

The California info is irrelevant to Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">