• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Turbopac

I am located in Chicago, IL. An ex of mine is likely going to take me to court to recover some money that he feels I owe him. I have been making payments and have paid off half this amount, but I don't feel I am responsible for the rest. I doubt that I will win the suit, so my question is will I be offered the opportunity to continue paying, or what is the process if the judgement is against me?

Happy Trails

Turbopac said:
I am located in Chicago, IL. An ex of mine is likely going to take me to court to recover some money that he feels I owe him. I have been making payments and have paid off half this amount, but I don't feel I am responsible for the rest. I doubt that I will win the suit, so my question is will I be offered the opportunity to continue paying, or what is the process if the judgement is against me?
If Judgment is entered in favor of the plaintiff that amount is payable at once and interest begins accruing immediately at the rate of 9% per year, simple interest. This interest rate is set by law in Illinois.

If you (now called the Judgment Debtor) do not pay the Judgment within 30 days, the winning party (now called the Judgment Creditor) may begin legal collection proceedings.

Information site: http://www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/self-help/s_claims/

You will find a ton of information there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">