• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims judgment: Judge did not do what she ordered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adrianna74

Our business was awarded a judgment in small claims (Indiana) for $6000 because tenants destroyed our house (condemned). The defendants never came to court and the court issued a bench warrant for defendants, cash bond set in amount of $6000. One defendant was arrested. The Judge allowed to let the defendant bail out for only $800! We received a phone call from the Judges office asking if this was OK and we said NO! The county online docket say's "Court contacts plaintiff and he has no objection to this arrangement. Bond is ordered reduced to $800.00 cash." This is NOT TRUE! Aren't they supposed to issue another court date for that?

What can we do? Do I appeal, file a complaint against the Judge, write to a newspaper, hire a lawyer? Wish I could post photos of the house and show what they did.

Thanks.

moburkes

Okay. They owe you $6000. They can't pay it while they're in jail. I don't understand what your concern is. Now you need to find any assets to attach.

Adrianna74

my concern

"Okay. They owe you $6000. They can't pay it while they're in jail. I don't understand what your concern is. Now you need to find any assets to attach."

I wish they had assets. Hard enough finding where they live.

My concern is they had over a year to make some kind of payment arrangements through the court, but never went to court. So if they can't pay they should be in jail as the Judge said they would. Defendant managed to find $800 to pay bond, so they can pay while in jail.

I had to find $6000 to fix my house and pay mortage while the sheriff had a bright orange sign over the front door saying "Do not occupy: condemned" for months.

Thanks

moburkes

"Okay. They owe you $6000. They can't pay it while they're in jail. I don't understand what your concern is. Now you need to find any assets to attach."

I wish they had assets. Hard enough finding where they live.

My concern is they had over a year to make some kind of payment arrangements through the court, but never went to court. So if they can't pay they should be in jail as the Judge said they would. Defendant managed to find $800 to pay bond, so they can pay while in jail.

I had to find $6000 to fix my house and pay mortage while the sheriff had a bright orange sign over the front door saying "Do not occupy: condemned" for months.

Thanks
You did not have to find $6000 to fix your house. An insurance policy would have paid that claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">