• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asctaylor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I have filed a civil suit against someone for past rent/unpaid loans, etc. I have to file my discovery information and it asks for the law that supports my claim. I am unsure how to find such laws. There was a verbal agreement that was broken and that is the law I am thinking that Im looking for. How do I find that law?

dcatz

I have filed a civil suit against someone for past rent/unpaid loans, etc. How do I find that law?

Your question is too broad and nonspecific. “Past rent”. “Unpaid loans”. It’s possible, even probable, that you’re dealing with multiple statutes. Go to a local law library. Explain to the librarian the information that you need and keep it simple. Ask for an “annotated” code book. Find the law(s) that’s applicable to your needs. Following the statutes, you’ll find cases that applied the statutes. See if they match your situation. Alternatively, ask for books summarizing your state law. Look for the relevant terms. The summaries will also refer you to case law. The librarian is your friend.

If that all seems like too much work, hire an attorney. You filed the law suit. The Court is going to expect someone to know what you’re talking about. It really is a question that you should have considered before you began.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">