• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims limit in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtpockets

What is the name of your state? CA

If you have a claim against 2 people, and the claim is related to the same issue, can you sue each of them separately up to the limit?

Example: If you are a natural person, can you sue one in Dec for $7,500 and the other in Jan for $7,500?What is the name of your state?

mtpockets

Abuse of process; malicious prosecution

A debtor sued me for fraud because I sent him a demand letter. I can easily disprove the fraud allegation.

His complaint contains a few other allegations that are demonstrably false. One allegation is legally impossible under the terms of the contract. In another he alleges that I stated in writing that his debt, which is evidenced by a promissory note, has been satisfied in full. He has been unable to produce this document.

His attorney may have filed the complaint and done a certain amount of work subsequent to that without ever reading the underlying contract or seeing any evidence. However, he knew no later than the date he received a copy of my case management statement that his client's fraud allegation was demonstrably false. By now he probably realizes that some of the other allegations contained in the complaint are false.

I respect the debtor's right to seek judicial resolution of our dispute. However, he and his attorney have gone out of their way to obstruct a resolution and abuse the legal process. For example:

• He refused to respond to my initial request for production of documents. I had to follow up 3 times and still did not obtain an adequate response.

• He filed a protective order in order to avoid having to respond to my special interrogatories. I wouldn't have even bothered with rogs if he had responded to the Request for Production. He withdrew his motion for a protective order before the hearing.

• He propounded over 100 rogs, more than half of which were not applicable to this case.

• He already had all of the documents he requested in his Request for Production of Documents.

I have had to spend a lot of time on this that I would not have had to spend had the debtor and his attorney done what is necessary--and only what is necessary--to resolve our dispute.

stephenk

There was already another lawsuit regarding the debt? What happened to that lawsuit?

What are the damages you are seeking in small claims court?

mtpockets

underlying lawsuit is still pending

I am assuming that I will win because I have a signed promissory note, the debtor admits he has not made all of the payments, and he has yet to state a legal reason for withholding payment.

I would like to file a malicious prosecution lawsuit in Small Claims Court based upon evidence that is already in my possession.

Back to the original question: assuming I do not file against the debtor and his attorney in the same calendar year, is the limit applied to each defendant separately, or would the claims have to be combined for purposes of determining whether the amount recoverable is over or under the limit?

I am in California.

Thanks.

stephenk

You have no legal grounds to sue in small claims court for malicious prosecution since the underlying case is still active. If the underlying case is dismissed or judgment is in your favor, at that point you can determine if there are sufficient grounds to proceed with a malicious prosecution claim.

Filing your small claim action now puts you at risk for being sanctioned for a frivilous lawsuit.

Finally, you can't split actions. You would need to file against both at the same time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">