• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims and LLC need for Attorney to Represent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

datrouper

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I understand that in some states a Corporation can represent themselves in a small claims action or complaint.

If the entity is a Limited Liability Company (which is a separate entity like a corporation that affoards, of course, liability protections), can they enter into a small claims suit without an attorney representing them?

If I counter-sue this LLC with a suit that is above the Small Claims limit (in Washington) of $4000, should I move the case to a higher court--and how is that done? Would this force the LLC to hire an attorney if for some reason an attorney is not required for a complaint in a small claims action by a LLC? And would this work against me. (A Contractor is the plaintiff, and I, a home owner is the defendant.)

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">