• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims from MA to NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mich7713

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run an online business selling designer handbags. A customer orders a handbag for $1229.00 which I shipped to him. The order was shipped to the billing address on the credit card used for the order which is in Springfield gardens NY. The package was signed for, but by someone else in that household instead of the card holder. The credit card company reversed the $1229.00 transaction (removed it directly from my bank account -ouch!) they stated because the card holder himself didnt sign for the package he says he never received it!
I went to my post office and spoke to the postmaster to see if there is a way to even ship a package to "adressee only" and he stated there is NO way to specify that even if it is sent certified - anyone in the address it is sent to can legally sign for it! So this customer is abviously being fraudulent so I need to know how to get my money back since we are in different states? Please help me!

BL

Generally if another individual signs for mail/package , that person becomes the responsible party to make sure the rightful owner receives it .

Unfortunately if all you have is a signature , you haven't much to go on .

Doesn't your on line business have an estimated delivery date posted , on line ?

I have always had to sign for my own certified mail .

Signature Confirmation™
Provides the date and time of delivery or attempted delivery and the name of the person who signed for the item. You can request a printed copy of the signature. $2.20
$1.80 when you print Priority Mail postage from www.usps.com.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">