• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims for malicious prosecution?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kenzkaya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I just recently had a domestic assault and breaking and entering charge against me dropped. I asked for a meeting with the prosecutor a week before the trial and showed that my now exgirlfriend lied to police, and had conjured up the story. The prosecutor dismissed both charges and that is great. However, I have incurred over $2000 in expenses relating to fighting this. Further, I was able to contact a former boyfriend of hers in Minnesota who was arrested twice for domestic assault on her. In his cases, both went to trial and he was found not guilty both times by a jury. He also tells me that there is another guy in Deluth and one in Colorado that she did the same thing to, although I have no way of finding out who these two other guys are. My question is, can I sue my ex in small claims court to recoup some or all of my expenses? She has a government job and makes a good income.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I just recently had a domestic assault and breaking and entering charge against me dropped. I asked for a meeting with the prosecutor a week before the trial and showed that my now exgirlfriend lied to police, and had conjured up the story. The prosecutor dismissed both charges and that is great. However, I have incurred over $2000 in expenses relating to fighting this. Further, I was able to contact a former boyfriend of hers in Minnesota who was arrested twice for domestic assault on her. In his cases, both went to trial and he was found not guilty both times by a jury. He also tells me that there is another guy in Deluth and one in Colorado that she did the same thing to, although I have no way of finding out who these two other guys are. My question is, can I sue my ex in small claims court to recoup some or all of my expenses? She has a government job and makes a good income.

You can sue for anything (except principle ~ irks me when people say...."I'm only doing this because it's a matter of principle".)

If you are going to sue...sue for money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">