• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims, New York City - Settlement advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aaaazzzz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello, I would be thankful for some advice on initiating a settlement on a small claims suit. I would like to get some legal advice on my case but considering that this is a very small case (5K), are there any recommendations on attorneys in the NYC area? How much would this cost approximately? If we reach a settlement before going to trial, how would this entire episode appear in an extensive background check in the future (govt jobs, immigration, etc.)? Are there some other things that I should keep in mind while discussing the settlement with the counter party? I would really appreciate some help with this.
Thanks!

You Are Guilty

...are there any recommendations on attorneys in the NYC area?
There is a "Find An Attorney" link somewhere on this page right now. Click it and see!
How much would this cost approximately?
Depends what "this" is and where you are. Manhattan lawyers can charge anywhere from $300 to $1000 an hour. Attorneys in Utica, not so much.
If we reach a settlement before going to trial, how would this entire episode appear in an extensive background check in the future (govt jobs, immigration, etc.)?
It's a public record that a lawsuit was filed and settled, but that's about the extent of anyone's interest, I'm sure. Small claims isn't exactly a big deal (hence the name). You can see for yourself what information may be online by checking here:
http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivilLocal/LCMain
Search by Party Name, enter your name, and click search.
Are there some other things that I should keep in mind while discussing the settlement with the counter party?
Figure out your "bottom-line" number (the least amount of money you would take to settle) before you start negotiating. Make sure your first demand is well above your bottom line, often 2-3x higher is a good starting place. Then negotiate down.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">