• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims non residential out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buckeye4278

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I use to live in Maryland and had a home in rented. I have sold the home and moved, but my last Tennent is threatening a suit for funds I've held for damage. Can I still be sued as a non resident with no property in the state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I use to live in Maryland and had a home in rented. I have sold the home and moved, but my last Tennent is threatening a suit for funds I've held for damage. Can I still be sued as a non resident with no property in the state?
Yes, because it has to do with a rental property in MD.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I use to live in Maryland and had a home in rented. I have sold the home and moved, but my last Tennent (sic)is threatening a suit for funds I've held for damage. Can I still be sued as a non resident with no property in the state?
Yes.

Although having now disposed of the rental property, the rental agreement itself would constitute doing business within the state such as to render you subject to the personal jurisdiction of the appropriate Maryland forum. (See: Maryland's Long-Arm Statute Md. Court Judicial Procedure Code Section 6-103 (b)(1).

adjusterjack

Yes. As Latigo points out, you can be sued in Maryland and you would have to travel to defend yourself or risk a default judgment that can be domesticated and enforced in your state.

Make sure you handled the security deposit exactly in accordance with the Maryland landlord tenant statute. The security deposit section is 8-203 at:

http://laws.uslandlord.com/laws/mdstatelaw.html

If you handled it properly you shouldn't have a problem.

If you didn't handle it properly, you would be wise to negotiate some sort of compromise with the tenant.

If you would care to itemize your holdback and the reasons, we could tell you if you have a problem.

If the rental was in Baltimore there may be additional requirements:

http://www.peoples-law.org/special-laws-rules-baltimore-city

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">