• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Question - Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Navarone

Ok so I recieved a notice to appear in small claims court today. I owe a guy $1500 and do not dispute this fact. I had already agreed to pay him $300 a month until this was paid off. Apparently I had not made the first payment fast enough as he has filed this claim. My question for you is what will happen in 1 month from now when we get to court and I've already started paying him per our agreement? Will the judge just throw out the case at the hearing. Or will he set a date for a full fledge small claims hearing?

Also does the plantiff have any sort of responsiblity to try and collect the money before going to court? IE sending me letters via certified mail or anything? After our agreement he went straight to filing a claim. He didn't even try to contact me again in any way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">