• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Question (Merit Trial)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robotdog85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My name is Anthony and I live in Massachusetts. I was being sued in Maryland by my ex-girlfriend over a litany of trumped-up charges regarding moving costs, car payments on a car that I don't own etc. Now, here is the question. The trial was originally set for July 17, 2009 but I subsequently requested a continuance which was granted and the trial was reset for August 19, 2009. However, my ex was unable to make it for that date so her lawyer filed a motion to continue. Today, I received a letter from the Maryland Court saying the following:The court proceeding for the case originally set for August 19, 2009 has been cancelled.

Type of Proceeding : Merit Trial

In spite of my best efforts I have been unable to find out what that means exactly. Any information anyone could give would be much appreciated.

-Anthony

sandyclaus

This one is simple...

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

My name is Anthony and I live in Massachusetts. I was being sued in Maryland by my ex-girlfriend over a litany of trumped-up charges regarding moving costs, car payments on a car that I don't own etc. Now, here is the question. The trial was originally set for July 17, 2009 but I subsequently requested a continuance which was granted and the trial was reset for August 19, 2009. However, my ex was unable to make it for that date so her lawyer filed a motion to continue. Today, I received a letter from the Maryland Court saying the following:The court proceeding for the case originally set for August 19, 2009 has been cancelled.

Type of Proceeding : Merit Trial

In spite of my best efforts I have been unable to find out what that means exactly. Any information anyone could give would be much appreciated.

-Anthony
It means just what it says - that the hearing scheduled for August 19, 2009 has been cancelled.

Wheter or not it as been rescheduled yet is something you still need to find out. Either the lawyer will send you a new notice of a date to appear or the court will. Or you could just call the court clerk's office and ask whether or not it has been rescheduled (BTW - asking the clerk does not count as notice).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">