• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stretch351c

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NE

I found out last week that I'm facing a default judgement in a case I didn't know existed. My now ex wife never paid a bill for a hospital visit while we were still married. We were divorced in June of 2012. The divorce decree says we are each responsible for our own bill, except one that was denoted by case number. I was contacted by the hospital about the debt, informed them that we were no longer married and that she no longer lived at this address. At that time they informed me that my name would be taken off the account. This occurred around the summer of last year. I have lived at this address for the last 10 years and have had dealings with this collection agency before, so my address is on record there, or should be. The case is filed in a county other than the one I live in, but it is in the county where the hospital does business. I only found out about the case because papers bearing my name were served at the address of my ex wife at her current residence, which is in the county the case is filed in. As of this date, I have not been formally served with a summons. What are my options? And how do I proceed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">