• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims questions and specific questions to my case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blaker6niner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

My friends and I are being brought to small claims court and being sued for $3000 in property damages to a cabin we rented. We stayed for one night and the owner is claiming that a pipe was broken and that the basement is flooded. The cabin was in a small city and the sheriff actually showed up because he saw multiple cars pulling in and what he called suspicious activity. We let him in and he searched the cabin (including the basement) and took our names. He saw that the cabin was a bit messy but clearly did not notice any flooding.

Does the owner have a strong case against us? Keep in mind this is May in Minnesota and we are likely one of the first groups renting out the cabin.
Could the pipes just have been frozen from the winter?
Does the fact that the sheriff did not see any flooding even though he searched the cabin including the basement help our case? Can we call him to testify or do small claims cases not work like that?
Does the fact that we are only 18 and rented this by owner help our case? We didn't sign anything. Could it be thrown out because the local law actually says you must be 21 to rent?

Responses to any of the questions would be a huge help, and any other advice on what to do and how to prepare would be great.

Ryan

OHRoadwarrior

Unless he was there at the time you left, it would not provide any testimony supporting your contention. Since it is doubtful you used the cabin at freezing temperatures, it is reasonable to conclude the cabin was heated sufficiently throughout the evening. It is interesting to note, you appear to be looking for a defense, not proclaiming your innocence. So you are claiming you illegally rented the cabin?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">