• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RSDAB

What is the name of your state? Missouri
my son has been summons to small claims court. His roommate is asking $200 for utilities that were incurred after my son moved out. the room mate is claiming that since my son was still paying the remainder of the lease each month for the remaining 3 months that he would be obligated to pay his portion of the utilities as well. He did give notice that he would have to move out due to finacial reasons, loss of job, and would no longer be attending the college in the area. he felt he would not be responsible for the utilities since he was no longer living there, but did finishing paying his portion of the lease.

is the roommate's claim legitimate? if so is my son's a good defense going into a small claims court? considering the amount of the claim and the finacial position my son is in, paying a lawyer to represent or consel would only compond his finacial issue and losses.

thanks in advance for your advice :confused:

R

rikers

I doubt it. Unless your sons name is also on the bills, I believe he has completed his agreement as it pertains to the lease. He should not be made to pay for someone's use of utilities that he had recieved no benefit from.

HomeGuru

rikers said:
I doubt it. Unless your sons name is also on the bills, I believe he has completed his agreement as it pertains to the lease. He should not be made to pay for someone's use of utilities that he had recieved no benefit from.
**A: what a dumbass response. How can you respond as such without full knowledge of the terms and conditions of the lease? It is obvious that the writer's son broke the lease. And that the son had joint and several liabilty with respect to all utilities in the lease premises, notwithstanding whose names were on the specific utility accounts and what remaining tenants actually used the services.

JETX

As usual, Trikers is not completely correct.

"is the roommate's claim legitimate?"
*** Depending on how the claim is presented to the court, he could be found to be partly liable. All utilities have a minimum usage payment. This is required simply for having the ability to use the service, whether it is used or not. The court could find that he is liable for his prorata share of that monthly minimum. However, I doubt that the court would find that he is liable for any amount (usage) over that minimum.

"if so is my son's a good defense going into a small claims court?"
*** See the above.

"considering the amount of the claim and the finacial position my son is in, paying a lawyer to represent or consel would only compond his finacial issue and losses."
*** Agreed. I would suggest he make his appearance and if he feels that the court is leaning towards him being obligated for a larger amount (than the minimum), he may at least raise the issue of paying his share of the minimum to the court.

R

rikers

Home Guru it is you who are the dumb ass. If you would read the answer I gave you would see I said I doubt it. I did not say he was not responsable for the debt did I? Perhaps if you would use this forum as it was intended instead of for your silly comments, and disrespect of others opinions and problems you and your cohorts would not be reported so often to the webmaster. I do hope they do restrict you soon. Before someone takes it a step further.

Last edited:

JETX

"Before someone takes it a step further with the FCC."
*** Thank you!! Your stupidity in thinking that the FCC has any regulatory authority over the internet really gave me a laugh this morning!!!!
What a twit!!

:D :D :D

HomeGuru

Thanks JETX. This dikers person needs to get off the trikers.
And, he, she it has often reported me to the webmaster? What a freaking joke.
Well, then the next time you complain dikers, please let the webmaster know that HomeGuru says Hi!
FCC, what a riot.

HomeGuru

rikers said:
Home Guru it is you who are the dumb ass. If you would read the answer I gave you would see I said I doubt it. I did not say he was not responsable for the debt did I?

**A: oh brother. Dikers, give it up already and stop trying to defend yourself by digging yourself deeper in the hole. And each subsequent post that you make just further proves what an idiot you are. Look at EACH of your posts on this thread. You can't even spell.

Perhaps if you would use this forum as it was intended instead of for your silly comments, and disrespect of others opinions and problems you and your cohorts would not be reported so often to the webmaster.

**A: oh please. You are really pathetic. I have caught you several times in other threads providing incorrect information and warned you to refrain from posting bad advice. Do you listen? No.

I do hope they do restrict you soon.

**A: Yes, I want to be restricted. Restricted from having to read your crappy ignorant advice. Please have then restrict me, please.
Before someone takes it a step further.

**A: oh, so now you will report us to the FBI or CIA?

R

rikers

Sorry HOME GURU, but i do not stoop to your level. I have better things to do than respond to your low life insults.

B

bbajanet

I must say I love Homeguru! (in a non-convientinal way, of course) I came to this whole site for a stupid problem that I had with my stepmother (and got good adivce, thank you IAMALWAYSLIABLE!) . And, I kept coming back because Homeguru makes me laugh. He is so honest, but yet can offer good adivce if people would get their ass off of their shoulders! Anyway, I just wanted to say that.

R

RSDAB

:D thanks to all who replied!! your advice and friendly banter enlighten me and made me laugh.

to clarify. my son's name is not on any of the utilities and i will ask about the terms and conditions of the lease.

if there is a minimum utilities service charge and a judgement was made that my son would have to pay a portion of the minimum charge would he have to pay at the court house that day in the state of missouri?

thanks again all

R

rikers

RSDAB said:
:D thanks to all who replied!! your advice and friendly banter enlighten me and made me laugh.

to clarify. my son's name is not on any of the utilities and i will ask about the terms and conditions of the lease.

if there is a minimum utilities service charge and a judgement was made that my son would have to pay a portion of the minimum charge would he have to pay at the court house that day in the state of missouri?

thanks again all
NO

HomeGuru

bbajanet said:
I must say I love Homeguru! (in a non-convientinal way, of course) I came to this whole site for a stupid problem that I had with my stepmother (and got good adivce, thank you IAMALWAYSLIABLE!) . And, I kept coming back because Homeguru makes me laugh. He is so honest, but yet can offer good adivce if people would get their ass off of their shoulders! Anyway, I just wanted to say that.
**A: thank you for your post. It is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">