• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims vs. District Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seank

What is the name of your state? California

I successfully defended myself in a small claims case. Now the client who sued me is "hinting" that he may pursue the matter another way. I'm not sure what to make of that. It is definitely a threat in my mind.

Can he file this case in another court, even though he lost in small claims court?

What other recourse does he have?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Last edited:

compworkr

If you got a judgment in your favor, another lawsuit might be barred by the principle of res judicata, which prohibits him from relitigating a previously adjudicated cause of action (civil claim). But a dismissal of such a second lawsuit by the court wouldn't be automatic and you would have to take the initiative to challenge it. And who knows what he meant by pursuing the matter “another way.” If you are some sort of licensed professional, he may be thinking of reporting you to whatever agency governs people in your profession. It’s hard to even speculate without knowing the nature of the small claims case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">