• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims without a lawyer out of my area?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in WV, the other person is in CT.

I bought an item from someone online, when it arrived, it didn't work. It's very beat up, and USPS won't validate the insurance because they said it wasn't packaged well enough by the sender. He has stopped answering my emails or calls after telling me it's "my problem now."

I don't have a lot of money, or I wouldn't be worried about this (paid $470 for the item). I can't afford a lawyer. The other person is in a different state. Can I do a small claims case without a lawyer? Can I make the person appear in my state? It seems just as arbitrary of a choice to make ME travel to his state to take him to court as it does making him come here, except I didn't do anything wrong.

davidmcbeth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in WV, the other person is in CT.

I bought an item from someone online, when it arrived, it didn't work. It's very beat up, and USPS won't validate the insurance because they said it wasn't packaged well enough by the sender. He has stopped answering my emails or calls after telling me it's "my problem now."

I don't have a lot of money, or I wouldn't be worried about this (paid $470 for the item). I can't afford a lawyer. The other person is in a different state. Can I do a small claims case without a lawyer? Can I make the person appear in my state? It seems just as arbitrary of a choice to make ME travel to his state to take him to court as it does making him come here, except I didn't do anything wrong.
What did you buy? is this an ebay sale? much will depend on the who/what/where/when questions .. even if you win in small claims, how you going to collect?

racer72

Why do you think anyone should give you any advice when you choose to ridicule the senior members of these forums?

mr stinkbomb said:
If you counted the times that people called others dumb, or other offensive, rude, insulting, and childish names on this site for "OUTSTANDING ADVICE," you'd have a number higher than that of the cases any actual lawyer who posts here has ever won. Good luck, SCC, I genuinely hope someone gives you helpful advice and you get this issue resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">