• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Written Answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gluedhands

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I've been served small claims summons papers for a past debt. I can afford to pay the debt and tomorrow will set up a payment agreement with the Plantiff's attorney to do so. It should have not even gone to court cause I can afford to pay it, but that's beside the point.

I'm required to respond with a written answer. What do I put in my answer to not screw me over even more? Do I admit to the allegations or deny them since we are settling it outside of judgement? I still have 14 days left to respond with my answer.

Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why don't you just pay your debt - making payments isn't "paying your debt"

Gluedhands

Why don't you just pay your debt - making payments isn't "paying your debt"
It's $1200. I can't live and pay all that at once. Making payments split into 4 means I pay only $300 bi-weekly for the next 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks the debt would be gone/settled which to MOST people is "paying your debt". Considering it wouldn't be a debt anymore afterword.

I'd rather pay the $1200 then the $1500 it'd probably be after court.

Last edited:

Zigner

It's $1200. I can't live and pay all that at once. Making payments split into 4 means I pay only $300 bi-weekly for the next 8 weeks. After the 8 weeks the debt would be gone/settled which to MOST people is "paying your debt". Considering it wouldn't be a debt anymore afterword.

I'd rather pay the $1200 then the $1500 it'd probably be after court.
You don't even have an agreement from the other party to ACCEPT payments. They don't have to accept payments in lieu of suing.

Zigner

It's not!, what the hell do you call it then?
My point is that the other party would be in a MUCH better position if they have a judgment in hand...our OP has already shown the inability to follow an agreement...why would the plaintiff feel that this agreement would be different than the last?

mlane58

My point is that the other party would be in a MUCH better position if they have a judgment in hand...our OP has already shown the inability to follow an agreement...why would the plaintiff feel that this agreement would be different than the last?
Then say that. Geez!

Gluedhands

This thread isn't about what what they can or cannot do, or who would be in a better situation. The thread topic is: What would you put in a written answer to not screw the defendant over even more?

If you're just going to post irrelevant points then please don't waste your's or others' time.

Last edited:

Zigner

This thread isn't about what what they can or cannot do, or who would be in a better situation. The thread topic is: What would you put in a written answer to not screw the defendant over even more?

If you're just going to post irrelevant points then please don't waste yours or others time.
What is your defense?

Zigner

You don't even have an agreement from the other party to ACCEPT payments. They don't have to accept payments in lieu of suing.
tomorrow will set up a payment agreement with the Plantiff's attorney to do so
As I said, RIGHT NOW, you don't have an agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">