• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Money Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritFree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Ok, here's the background and issue:

I dated this girl for about a year. We shared an apartment and expenses. I was unemployed for 2 months and she fronted the bill. I owe her half the expenses, rightfully so. I paid her $240 and I still owe her $575. I have every intention of paying her back, but it's been hard to secure employment so I have no income to pay her what I owe her.

Things were rocky for awhile and then we got back together. She tells me don't worry about paying me back that money. She takes yoga and got all inspired about this karma lecture that day so she tells me forget about the money. I say, well I'm still going to pay you back what I owe you but I'll give you the money as I make it, when I have employment and income coming in. She's cool with that.

Well, of course, we get into another heated argument and she brings up the money again. She says I owe her the money NOW and to pay her $50 a week until it is paid off. I HAVE NO INCOME to pay her anything. She says she can get spiteful, yada yada yada...

Anyway, my question is, how spiteful can she get over this? I mean, I had no intention of NOT paying her back the money. I just have no job TO pay her back. Can she take this to small claims and have the court order me to pay this money on a deadline? How can she get blood from a stone? Can she flipflop and say dont worry about the $$ and then decide later that I owe her? I have text messages stating how she said forget about the money. Does that matter? I mean, I know this is petty **** but it is $575 I dont have. I dont deal with legalities too often and I'm currently training to become an EMT. What are the severities of something like this? In an extreme case, could "jailtime for failure to pay" come into play here? I dont want to jeopardize my career over $500. Just need some advice...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Ok, here's the background and issue:

I dated this girl for about a year. We shared an apartment and expenses. I was unemployed for 2 months and she fronted the bill. I owe her half the expenses, rightfully so. I paid her $240 and I still owe her $575. I have every intention of paying her back, but it's been hard to secure employment so I have no income to pay her what I owe her.

Things were rocky for awhile and then we got back together. She tells me don't worry about paying me back that money. She takes yoga and got all inspired about this karma lecture that day so she tells me forget about the money. I say, well I'm still going to pay you back what I owe you but I'll give you the money as I make it, when I have employment and income coming in. She's cool with that.

Well, of course, we get into another heated argument and she brings up the money again. She says I owe her the money NOW and to pay her $50 a week until it is paid off. I HAVE NO INCOME to pay her anything. She says she can get spiteful, yada yada yada...

Anyway, my question is, how spiteful can she get over this? I mean, I had no intention of NOT paying her back the money. I just have no job TO pay her back. Can she take this to small claims and have the court order me to pay this money on a deadline? How can she get blood from a stone? Can she flipflop and say dont worry about the $$ and then decide later that I owe her? I have text messages stating how she said forget about the money. Does that matter? I mean, I know this is petty **** but it is $575 I dont have. I dont deal with legalities too often and I'm currently training to become an EMT. What are the severities of something like this? In an extreme case, could "jailtime for failure to pay" come into play here? I dont want to jeopardize my career over $500. Just need some advice...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: pay the $575.

**A: pay the $575.

you obviously didn't read his post!!!
he doesn't have the means to pay the money right now.
plus, he's not asking what to do. he's willing to pay if he had the money right now.
plus, the gf forgave the debt on a text message. how will that hold up in court? this is the type of questions he wants answered.

WHY don't you read the post, and make an educated comment IF you have the knowledge. IF NOT, just stay on the sidelines and observe and don't state the obvious?!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

you obviously didn't read his post!!!
he doesn't have the means to pay the money right now.

**A: On the contrary I did read his post. I don't care if he does not have the money or not. The basis for my legal response is correct based on the evidence. Having the money or not does noit change the correct legal advice.

#########

plus, he's not asking what to do. he's willing to pay if he had the money right now.
plus, the gf forgave the debt on a text message. how will that hold up in court? this is the type of questions he wants answered.

**A: so what, not relevant.

########

WHY don't you read the post, and make an educated comment IF you have the knowledge. IF NOT, just stay on the sidelines and observe and don't state the obvious?!
**A: do you know who you are talking to A-BIG-NOTHING-BETWEEN-THE-EARS?

**A: do you know who you are talking to A-BIG-NOTHING-BETWEEN-THE-EARS?
*******AAAAAA: yeah....i know to 'whom' i'm talking to. i'm talking to someone who calls himself a Guru but doesn't know much.

oh and i do have something "between my ears"....it's called a brain. and i "DO" actually use it!

Give it a try ;-)

SpiritFree

Ok, if I were to be taken to court and I'm ordered to pay back the money within a certain timeframe, and I cannot, what would be the next "situation" I would be facing? Like I said, if I dont have the money, I dont have it. I'm trying to gauge the overall picture of the situation and my options should I be taken to court. Like I said, I have full intention of paying what I owe. She's not hurting for the $$ or anything. I broke it off with her and I feel this might be a spiteful move on her part; to demand full payment of what is owed NOW. Once I'm up n working, I will be paying $50/week until the debt is paid, so we both can move on with life.

HomeGuru

*******AAAAAA: yeah....i know to 'whom' i'm talking to. i'm talking to someone who calls himself a Guru but doesn't know much.

oh and i do have something "between my ears"....it's called a brain. and i "DO" actually use it!

Give it a try ;-)
***A: too funny.

SpiritFree

Would it really make a difference if I save the text? I don't know how much weight that would have in court, but it's something right? Thanks for the feedback y'all. FINALLY scored a job and I'll just giver her what's owed so we're even and we both can move on...

Antigone*

Would it really make a difference if I save the text? I don't know how much weight that would have in court, but it's something right? Thanks for the feedback y'all. FINALLY scored a job and I'll just giver her what's owed so we're even and we both can move on...
Congrats on the job...they are hard to come by these days. Pay the lady and be done with her.

Guess what Nothing...HG was right on...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">