• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small potatoes, but this is for principal and fairness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polishfly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Illinois

Hi,

I was in a Kayak Bass Fishing league tournament which specified a rule as follows: "If a fish is restrained to the bump board by any other means except for the angler’s hand(s), the fish will not count towards the angler’s total catch (this includes bungees, straps, stringers, a lure, etc.)"

Full rules:
https://www.kayakbassleague.com/2016-kbl-club-classic-tour-rules-and-requirements/

The fish that were disqualified had a line and lure in the mouth, but in no way was the line or lure attached to the "bump board" which is clearly shown in the pictures that I submitted. I have a copy of the rules as they were written before the tournament and I have picture proof of each fish caught. I was in 1st place with winnings of somewhere between $500-600 and I was disqualified because of the implied explanation of the written rule. The League staff is trying to apply the rule which in my eyes does not apply because the fish is not directly restrained on the "bump board" by anything other than my hand like specified. The line and lure are freely detached from the "bump board" and the fish can jump back in the water. Do I have a case? In addition, I got booted from the League all together for stating that I would like to take them to court and asking for a public opinion on the subject on Social Media.

Thanks in advance and I know this is kind of small, but I worked my ass of to win.

FlyingRon

Sorry, the courts are not going to get involved in this. The fishing tournament rules are not LAWS. You have no civil claim either.

Did you not read the very first line of the rules:

ALL TOURNAMENT RULES EXPRESSED IN THIS DOCUMENT CAN AND WILL CHANGE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE KBL TEAM ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS. THE KBL TEAM HOLDS THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY AND/OR BAN ANY COMPETITOR THAT DOES NOT ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THIS SERIES*

tranquility

I agree with FlyingRon. Even more, just as a theory even "if" there are not specific issues to overcome for any chance, no one wants this to be a legal issue. And, if someone wants it to be a "fairness" issue, either they have a big pile of money they want to throw into the wind or they have a whole bunch of free time they want to dedicate to the particular complaint. Lawsuits are about money. Making people do things cost a LOT more.

It seems your argument goes to commerce. Don't apply next year. If you want to tell others of the problem to make them less likely to join the nonsense, tell them. But, only mention (specifically true) things; if you want to take the risk of the evil people protecting intellectual property rights getting angry. People have a trough they eat from. The trough has some legal protection no matter how reasonable. If you care, say it. If not, move on. Even if you behave precisely correct and give no more than what you know, a lawsuit could cost you money. I suspect that if any complaint you give costs the person who is unfair money, they just might sue and win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">