• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smalls Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milocento

What is the name of your state (NY)?
My ex (broken up for 2 yrs) is taking me to small claims court and I have a few questions. He paid for my moving expenses knowing I didn't have a job to repay, so I could move in with him sooner. Now he wants the money paid back to him for that, a joint account (which was paid off by him and not really joint, he added me as a signer), and a macy's credit card that was in his name. What do I do when I goto court, I can't prove they were gifts.
When we broke up I left with nothing except the clothes I had. Anything that was charged either gifts he bought me, or things that he kept. I did repay him $500.00 for clothes I bought and took with me (I have checks to prove payment) I looked through all my paperwork, and I have none of the credit card statements and can't get them to even look over. He claims he had a verbal and written contract for me to payback a loan. I never signed anything saying I would repay, he may have text messages saying I was sending him $$.
Are text messages valid in small claims court.
What do I do if I have no documentation

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">