• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Snow plow damage to mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TGM1024

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

-------------------

My mailbox is currently within post office standards for distance from curb, I am *pretty* sure.

A snow plow backed into it while making a turn around.

It snapped off the 4x4 steel post-holder, which is a mighty thing.

Is there any ruling regarding municipal / town / city responsibility for snow plow damage to mailboxes?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

And when you called the municipal / town / city to file a claim for snow plow damage to your mailbox, what did they tell you?

BL

Yes they must replace , repair , or compensate you for the cost thereof.

I helped run a a side plow and I was admonished for knocking over mailboxes.

As was stated call in the complaint. It has to be documented .

You should have immediatly done so.

Last edited:
T

TGM1024

did that, but

I did complain, but got an ear full of how they "do their best".

Since I complained at the time, it seems as if you're saying that I can possibly get compensated for replacing the $35 post anchor that was snapped in 2?

The rest of the mailbox was salvageable, and looks presentable, though not great.

BL

I did complain, but got an ear full of how they "do their best".
[ quote ]

Write the municiplality a Certified Return Receipt Letter.

State On or about ( specify date(s) , your snow plow damaged my property ( mailbox) while in your duties of plowing snow.

On or about ( specify date(s) ), I called your municipality to report the damage,Etc.

I was told you do your best . I am sure you do you best and occasionally mishaps occur.

That does NOT exclude your legal responsibility to fix/replace, or compensate me for the damages to my mail box under the Laws.

At this time I am Demmanding that you compensate me for the repair of my mail box in the amout of ( $$$$ ). Copy of cost attached.

I will allow you 10 business days to respond/compensate me for the damages.

IF i do not hear from you within that time I will take legal action that is available to me to recover my loss.

Sincerely,

T

TGM1024

GREAT

THANKS!

I do have a detail though that is not clear:

I /already/ repaired it myself.

Do you suppose I could demand compensation for that? It's roughy a $35 post anchor I think.

There's other dammage to the mailbox, but I suppose I can overlook that since I didn't press the issue right away (though I did complain right away).

Thanks for your help already!

HomeGuru

My opinion is to just accept it and move on. Sh*t happens. Is it worth the time and effort for a measly $35?

T

TGM1024

agreed, however

I agree. HOWEVER,

I believe that it is important to hold folks responsible for things on the chance that this is happening too frequently to others.

This is not a punitive damage argument, but merely a compensatory one: if mistakes are paid for, the chances of mistakes recuring is lessened than if they were merely complained about.

Many thanks to HOMEGURU and BLONDE LEBINESE for their help in this matter!

Thomas

HomeGuru

Re: agreed, however

TGM1024 said:
I agree. HOWEVER,

I believe that it is important to hold folks responsible for things on the chance that this is happening too frequently to others.

This is not a punitive damage argument, but merely a compensatory one: if mistakes are paid for, the chances of mistakes recuring is lessened than if they were merely complained about.

Many thanks to HOMEGURU and BLONDE LEBINESE for their help in this matter!

Thomas
**A: ok, then if the main issue is not one of money but making a point, then go ahead and pursue. If and when the check comes, donate it to your favorite charity.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Our writer has, apparently, never heard of "Diminished Returns"; that, by the time $35.00 is collected, $100.00 will have been spent.

IAAL

FarmerJ

In this end of snowland often people install swinging sideways mail boxes . state highway plow crews are worse than county plow crews .

T

TGM1024

INTERESTING! I wonder if there are spring loaded post anchors as well.

Yep, as an engineer I'm face to face with dimishing returns. But remember, if everyone did as I do, then things would theoretically get better.

Same argument for voting---the individual return for just *me* voting is terrible. One guy?

BL

$35.00
+ 10.00 small claims filing fee cost
______
- $$$$ hrs missed wages of work, if you can get it off.
_______

And this is what crooks count on ..

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">