• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aguamala

What is the name of your state? new york

My roommate moved out in August of 2002 but before he left he forgot to change the electricity out of his name. We figured that it would just be easier to keep it in his name. But when he left he did have all his mail forwarded to his new home several hundred miles away with no way to contact him. We received our first bill still in his name in January and never paid it until a couple days ago the electricty went out. We started up a new account with the electric company and got the power turned on in our name. What my question is, can he sue us for the $669.25 on the bill or is he legally binded to that contract? We only had verbal agreement that we would split the cost 4 ways.

JETX

"What my question is, can he sue us for the $669.25 on the bill or is he legally binded to that contract?"
*** Since there was an agreement to split the costs, he can sue you to recover his 'damages', the amount that he has to pay to cover your portion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">