• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

So an old "friend" of mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thechiz419

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina she lives in Ohio.

I recently got in touch with supposedly an old friend of mine from grade school. After talking for a little while we decided we wanted to meet and catch up etc. She purchased me a RT plane ticket to Ohio. Well shortly after flying up there about an hour to be exact she expresses how her and her friend thought i might be up to something and that i was going to rob her house not to mention she later stated she expected me to have sex with her because she bought me a plane ticket up there saying ".and honestly i would much rather get something out of it i.e sex thats just my logical thinking" and when i made it clear that wasn't what i wanted she started talking about relationships and all of that. So naturally anyone could see why i wasn't comfortable with seeing her, even after all of this time. Anyway she started with threats claiming she was going to cancel my ticket but she didn't. However, that i'm home she is asking when she is going to get her money
back and that she will file a small claims suit against me. Is she able to do this? How likely is it that a judge will rule in her favor?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina she lives in Ohio.

I recently got in touch with supposedly an old friend of mine from grade school. After talking for a little while we decided we wanted to meet and catch up etc. She purchased me a RT plane ticket to Ohio. Well shortly after flying up there about an hour to be exact she expresses how her and her friend thought i might be up to something and that i was going to rob her house not to mention she later stated she expected me to have sex with her because she bought me a plane ticket up there saying ".and honestly i would much rather get something out of it i.e sex thats just my logical thinking" and when i made it clear that wasn't what i wanted she started talking about relationships and all of that. So naturally anyone could see why i wasn't comfortable with seeing her, even after all of this time. Anyway she started with threats claiming she was going to cancel my ticket but she didn't. However, that i'm home she is asking when she is going to get her money
back and that she will file a small claims suit against me. Is she able to do this? How likely is it that a judge will rule in her favor?
A gift is a gift is a gift. Unless there was a specific agreement that you would pay her back for the plane ticket, there is no obligation to do so.

Let her sue. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she tries to explain to the judge why she thinks you should be paying her back... :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">