• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a Car and now the Buyer is suing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trjj74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Before selling my 1999 Car, I had got the car fixed for repairs and sold it. Since I assumed the car to be fixed, I mentioned it as in excellent condition (for a 14 year old car). The Buyer drove my car and he seemed satisfied with it. The Buyer when buying it from me never did an inspection. Also I had given the bill of all repairs done on the car for the past 5 years (2008 to 2014). After a few days of buying the car, he contacted me saying the car had major problems.

Now after a month of buying the car, he has sent me a letter stating that I need to take back the car along with the repair cost. He has threatened to take me to Small Claims Court to get his money back. In the Bill of Sale, there is no mention of AS IS condition.

My question is am I responsible for the car after I sold it. Is not the Buyer responsible for the car after he buys it for me.

racer72

Unless you specified a warranty of fitness for the vehicle, all private party used cars sold in Washington are considered sold "as-is". I would stop and block all communications with the buyer unless you are served a summons. I have sold many cars in Washington over the years and have had to deal with a couple buyers like yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">