• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold a car the was under lien by chase bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmaxx323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

OK.....old friend from school was selling a car for $1500 lets call him "James". james said i will sell you my car for $1500. the car had major front end damage but, i had a friend who could fix it for cheap. i paid james $1300 of the $1500 for the car and had the car towed to be fixed. i paid $900 for labor and $100 for the parts. once the shop was done with the work, i picked up the car and now it needed to be registered. i look up the registration online with the Vin and found out it was $110. i kept calling james to go to the dmv to register the car in my name and pay him the final $200. he finally went to the dmv they said it was non op and he never paid the non op fee so he had to pay $110 to do anything further so i paid the $110. we filled out the bill of sale and proceeded to turn it in. the lady(at the dmv) said she couldn't process it because chase Manhattan had a lien on it and it was illegal but, she put my name in the system as attempting to register the car. my cousin got the car impounded for driving on a suspended license for 30 days. during that time the towing company applied for a lien sale just in case we didn't get it out of the impound after the hold they could sell it. to do a lien they have to notify all parties so, they sent me a letter (from the time at the dmv we tried to register it in my name), james a letter and chase a letter. chase Manhattan came and repossessed the car from the impound now he wont give me my money back and chase has the car can i take him to small claims **************..... also previous to us going to the dmv the car was impounded 3 days for registration i paid $450 to get the car out

do you think i can get my $1300 for the sale. the repairs of $900 since he crashed the car and the bank got it back in mint condition. and the registration $110 i paid at the dmv
second can i get the money from the tow bill $450

Last edited:

BL

Didn't you see there was a lien on the title ?

You might be able to get a Judgment for some of sales cost ,etc .

The impounds ,repair cost,etc. , I doubt .

The Friend had no right to sell it .

Use punctuations and sentences .

madmaxx323

sold a car under lien

no i didn't know the car was under lien. he had lost the registration because it wasn't current.that's why i looked up how much the registration cost on the internet to make sure it wasn't a ridiculous amount. i found out it was under lien the first time we went to the dmv but i had already given him $1300

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">