• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sold privately but other party refuses to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

k.ceren

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold a car stereo to a friend with the verbal agreement that he would make payments however he stopped sending payments for a yr until i threatened small claims and it has been 4 months since i have recieved any thing from him, he has eliminated any and all ways of communication and has since moved so i have no idea where he is located. is there anything i can do to get the money from him?
he is refusing payment at this time.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold a car stereo to a friend with the verbal agreement that he would make payments however he stopped sending payments for a yr until i threatened small claims and it has been 4 months since i have recieved any thing from him, he has eliminated any and all ways of communication and has since moved so i have no idea where he is located. is there anything i can do to get the money from him?
he is refusing payment at this time.
In order to recover what you owe, you would need to sue. In order to sue, you'd have to have some way of communicating with them and have an address where they can be found to serve them with the legal documents to sue. How do you plan to do that without knowing where they're located?

Depending on how much you claim they owe, it would cost you around between $30 and $75 to file alone. Even if you managed to find them, serve them, and win your case, you are still responsible for collecting the judgment from them. If they're being this difficult now before being sued, how difficult do you think it will be to find them and get your money from them? You have to seriously consider whether or not it's worth it to try to sue them.

Antigone*

You should have sued him while you had the chance. Not that you would have collected but at least you'd have the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">