• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

somebody keeping my dads property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

korea

What is the name of your state? Michigan

ok, my dad worked as a handyman for an elderly couple, the husband, it about 60, and crippled and in a wheel chair. my dad mowed lawns for them, did landscaping, and alot of other work, sometimes he was paid too little. anyway, my dad has a big john deer lawnmore, he kept his lawnmore in their shed so whenever he mows their lawns, is right there. anyway my dad decided to quit working for them and wanted to get his lawnmower back the next day. he goes back there to get it, the old man calls the cops, they come, my dad explained the situation thats he is getting his property back, but the old man said that he owes money to him for parts for the lawnmore the old man paid for, which he never did, and has no proof of it. so the cops wouldnt let my dad get his lawnmore because of what the old man told the police, and told the police that my dad is not allowed on his property anymore. so it it legal for the old guy to keep my dads property and try to sell it?(hes let my dad know thats he wants to sell it) my dad has proof that he owns that lawnmower, but isnt allowed on the property anymore.

so is the old guy doing something illegal here?

is legal for my dad to go one night and take his property back?

holbieone

ok, my dad worked as a handyman for an elderly couple, the husband, it about 60, and crippled and in a wheel chair. my dad mowed lawns for them, did landscaping, and alot of other work, sometimes he was paid too little. anyway, my dad has a big john deer lawnmore, he kept his lawnmore in their shed so whenever he mows their lawns, is right there. anyway my dad decided to quit working for them and wanted to get his lawnmower back the next day. he goes back there to get it, the old man calls the cops, they come, my dad explained the situation thats he is getting his property back, but the old man said that he owes money to him for parts for the lawnmore the old man paid for, which he never did, and has no proof of it. so the cops wouldnt let my dad get his lawnmore because of what the old man told the police, and told the police that my dad is not allowed on his property anymore. so it it legal for the old guy to keep my dads property and try to sell it?(hes let my dad know thats he wants to sell it) my dad has proof that he owns that lawnmower, but isnt allowed on the property anymore.

call the attorney general in your state

I'm guessing there needs to be a legal demand for the money "owed" for parts in the form of a letter and a 30 day response time before it can have a lean put against it and be sold

most state also have a web site where you can seek this information

but i would still call the attorney general

Last edited:

BL

This may come to a civil suit .
Just because your Dad can't trespass ( and he could be arrested if he does ) , doesn't mean he can't contact the neighbor as of right now .

Either consult an Attorney to write up a Demand letter for it's return , or a civil suit will be filed . Also demand receipt copies for the " alleged " mower parts , or your Dad can send said letter RR Certified mail .

He might even try a phone call first with the demands , as there's no cease and desist contact as of now .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">