• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone changing signed contract after the fact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JBlack15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl

Hello. My ex father in law gave me 2 loans, one for $1,300 and another for $3,300 however, the 2nd loan both myself and his daughter signed that we are both responsible for. To this date, I have paid him $2,950 which covers my loan and half of the other loan his daughter also signed for. He is threatening to take me to court because he is saying I owe more than my half of the other loan. In the details of the contract, there isn't a clear agreement of an actual number. The 2nd loan was to cover the cost of my car that my ex's son wrecked. He is saying I owe $2,400 for the cost (Which the $3,300 loan is to cover). I told him I am only paying my half that his daughter is responsible for the other half as we both signed the agreement. He is telling me it doesn't matter who was driving the car that it was my car and I am responsible for it. Its a shame to think I had so much respect for this man but im at a loss on his thinking on this. I think he is dilutional. He is also stating his daughter borrowed more money (without me knowing) to pay bills. I repeatedly asked for proof of this but he is unable to provide any. (She is known for stealing money, con artist etc..) I told him unless he shows proof that I am not paying it as it was after the fact of our agreement Anyway, he keeps telling me his attorney said he has a great case and he will win so he is going to take me to court. I spoke to his attorney but he stays very general saying "I don't know the details of the agreement but if he was to file a lawsuit, he has every right". Well duh, anyone can file.

I know what I know, I would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl

Hello. My ex father in law gave me 2 loans, one for $1,300 and another for $3,300 however, the 2nd loan both myself and his daughter signed that we are both responsible for. To this date, I have paid him $2,950 which covers my loan and half of the other loan his daughter also signed for. He is threatening to take me to court because he is saying I owe more than my half of the other loan. In the details of the contract, there isn't a clear agreement of an actual number. The 2nd loan was to cover the cost of my car that my ex's son wrecked. He is saying I owe $2,400 for the cost (Which the $3,300 loan is to cover). I told him I am only paying my half that his daughter is responsible for the other half as we both signed the agreement. He is telling me it doesn't matter who was driving the car that it was my car and I am responsible for it. Its a shame to think I had so much respect for this man but im at a loss on his thinking on this. I think he is dilutional. He is also stating his daughter borrowed more money (without me knowing) to pay bills. I repeatedly asked for proof of this but he is unable to provide any. (She is known for stealing money, con artist etc..) I told him unless he shows proof that I am not paying it as it was after the fact of our agreement Anyway, he keeps telling me his attorney said he has a great case and he will win so he is going to take me to court. I spoke to his attorney but he stays very general saying "I don't know the details of the agreement but if he was to file a lawsuit, he has every right". Well duh, anyone can file.

I know what I know, I would like to hear other peoples thoughts.
My thought is that the contracts you signed need to be reviewed in their entirety to see exactly what you committed yourself to paying. If it is not clear what amount you need to pay and what amount the daughter needs to pay, either of you can be held to the full amount of the loan (that is, the man can collect the entire amount from you or the man can collect the entire amount from the daughter). If the man collects the full amount from you, you could turn around and sue the daughter for the amount that you covered for her.

If the man has an attorney and has threatened to sue, perhaps it would be smart for you to have the loan agreements personally reviewed by an attorney in your area, to see where you stand legally. We cannot do personal reviews on this forum.

Good luck.

JBlack15

My thought is that the contracts you signed need to be reviewed in their entirety to see exactly what you committed yourself to paying. If it is not clear what amount you need to pay and what amount the daughter needs to pay, either of you can be held to the full amount of the loan (that is, the man can collect the entire amount from you or the man can collect the entire amount from the daughter). If the man collects the full amount from you, you could turn around and sue the daughter for the amount that you covered for her.

If the man has an attorney and has threatened to sue, perhaps it would be smart for you to have the loan agreements personally reviewed by an attorney in your area, to see where you stand legally. We cannot do personal reviews on this forum.

Good luck.
Thank you for the response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">