• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone owes me money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vdog

What is the name of your state?
Kansas

I covered the cost (temporarily) for a rec. basketball team. All of the members paid me back (which was agreed upon) except one. How long past the time he was to pay me back can I still bring him to small c. court? It's been over 6 months.

I have contacted the guy off and on and he always says he needs a little more time. I haven't "threatened" him w/court yet. But, I'm tired of it. Did I wait too long? The last conversation he and I had about it was two weeks ago. He told me he knew he still owes me and will pay me very soon. I'm done with him. Either I get it from the court or if it's too late, I learn my lesson about spotting people that I don't know REAL well.

Last edited:

JETX

vdog said:
I covered the cost (temporarily) for a rec. basketball team. All of the members paid me back (which was agreed upon) except one. How long past the time he was to pay me back can I still bring him to small c. court? It's been over 6 months.
The SOL (Statute of Limitations) on a debt in your state is 3 years (from the breach) for a verbal agreement, or 5 years if in writing.
You have plenty of time to send him a very nice demand letter (certified RRR) advising him that he has a set amount of time (two weeks?) to pay you in full or you will be forced to pursue legal action against him. Then, if he doesn't pay, do a full court press by taking him TO court.

vdog

thanks so much

nice "full court press ref."

looks like i'll trap in the corner w/letter first! :)

JETX

Dandy Don said:
Whether it will be worth it to go after him depends on how much is owed.
Not really. The REAL answer is.... 'whether it will be worth it to after him depends on how much is owed, and how valuable your time is'.

$100 owed is worth a lot more to a person who makes $5.15 per hour.... than to someone who bills his clients $300 per hour!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">