• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone is threatening to sue me over lost items.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleger20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Someone left a few pieces of jewelry at my apartment about 6 months ago. I believe it was two rings and a bracelet or something to that effect. He didn't actually ask for them for a couple weeks, but then my phone broke. I didn't have it replaced for a number of months because of cost (I'm a college student.) This person knew where I worked and lived, obviously, so he could have just come over to get them. I have since moved apartments and the jewelry got lost somewhere along the way. I just had my phone turned back on after all this time and he called, threatening to sue for $300. Can he actually do that for lost items that he left there himself? He also left me a message saying that he saw a utility bill in my house with my full name on it and that he would "find me," and I'm beginning to feel threatened. Please help!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Someone left a few pieces of jewelry at my apartment about 6 months ago. I believe it was two rings and a bracelet or something to that effect. He didn't actually ask for them for a couple weeks, but then my phone broke. I didn't have it replaced for a number of months because of cost (I'm a college student.) This person knew where I worked and lived, obviously, so he could have just come over to get them. I have since moved apartments and the jewelry got lost somewhere along the way. I just had my phone turned back on after all this time and he called, threatening to sue for $300. Can he actually do that for lost items that he left there himself? He also left me a message saying that he saw a utility bill in my house with my full name on it and that he would "find me," and I'm beginning to feel threatened. Please help!
You could be sued for anything - there is nothing to preclude this person from suing you. Could he win...who knows.

If it were me, under these circumstances I would tell that idiot to bring it on. I certainly wouldn't give him any money unless I was ordered by a judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">